Meeting of the Society of Professional Journalists, Valley of the Sun Pro Chapter
Sept. 14, 2019, 10 a.m., Wildflower Bread Co., 4290 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85018
Started: 10:25 a.m.
Attendees: Tim Eigo, Mark Scarp, Deb Krol and Chelsea Young
- Secretary’s report and approval of minutes from July 13, 2019
- Treasurer’s report
- Tim Eigo needs to reimburse the chapter for half of his flight and half of his hotel.
- Mark’s Mighty Minute!
- SPJ annual meeting follow-up
- FOI awards Sept. 28 – honorees Craig Harris, Elvia Diaz, Bill Orovan, Steve Benson
- Deb is stepping in for Tim (since he’ll be out of town) to give the awards.
- Recent Phoenix events: No Crying in Newsrooms book launch, ONA panel discussion about engagement, and Covering Courts panel discussion
- Covering Courts had a great turnout – about 60 people. May want to repeat next year.
- Chapter e-newsletter launched in December – content ideas welcome
- Nomination/appointment of new Secretary
- At conclusion of this meeting, Mark Scarp will take over as secretary.
- Leads on possible new Treasurer
- Publicity Summit planning update
- More than $4,500 from Publicity Summit with two weeks to go
- Currently at 63 registrations
- Part of this is due to buy two, get one free offer.
- Leslie personally reached out to agencies, which helped.
- The two panels speak to two different audiences: younger PR people and more seasoned PR people
- Report regarding First Amendment Coalition
- Dan Barr reports that calls to the hotline continue to decrease. He finds himself being more of a source for those who call.
- ABA sent out an incorrect phone number in marketing sent to its members, and a new effort with the correct number will be implemented.
- FAC board enlisted Miguel Gaytan of Telemundo Arizona to take over social media and website posts for the coalition.
- Deb is tentatively the new FAC representative.
- Updating our email list
- Paula is currently using the list provided when we first started the newsletter.
- Deb to send Tim the most current regional email list.
- Possible date/location for chapter holiday mixer: Tuesday 12/3 or Wednesday 12/4
- Brainstorming ideas of location downtown or central corridor.
- Scholarship Update: Call for submissions in September/early October – submissions due October 31 – award(s) to be given at annual chapter holiday party
- Update from Region 11 and National – Deb Krol
- Deb got reelected!
- Networking/event ideas:
- Paula Pedene suggested a panel on newsroom leadership and strategies on how to get there. One could focus on TV/digital/radio (and she has strong leads on presenters) and occur in January/February. A second could focus on print (about a month later).
- Considering charging to attend
- Options: members would be free or do a $10 donation to go to The Sauce Foundation in honor of Mike Saucier.
- Incoming SPJ President Patti Gallagher Newberry reached out to our chapter and Deb in Region 11 to suggest Julia Wallace and Kristin Gilger as event speakers, given their newly published book There’s No Crying in Newsrooms: What Women Have Learned About What It Takes to Lead. Kristin was honored by our chapter last year with an Order of the Silver Key Award.
MEETING: Saturday, November 9, 2019
Adjourned: 11:06 a.m.