Meeting of the Society of Professional Journalists, Valley of the Sun Pro Chapter
September 23, 2018, 10 a.m., First Watch, Tempe
- EIJ18 (http://excellenceinjournalism.org/) update (out of order because Deb Krol must leave early to attend another meeting)
- SPJ sponsorships from controversial organizations (Koch Bros. etc.)
- Robert Leger and Deb Krol going to EIJ as delegates
- Secretary’s report and approval of minutes from July 15, 2018
- Treasurer’s report
- All but one publicity summit monies have come in
- Checking account is looking healthy
- Investment fund low
- Current cash available: $5,502.29
- Mark’s Mighty Minute!
- Publicity Summit update
- Net online sales: $3,620 (48 attendees)
- Net proceeds as of 9/18/18: $3,267.36
- Notes from Terri:
- If you pull out Eventbrite money in one lump sum at end, there is no fee.
- Ideas for next year:
- To help with timing of pitches, use colored tickets
- Media bring cheat sheets of deadlines etc. to hand out so not always repeating info to PR people
- Do panel for 60 minutes and then have networking opportunity from 10-10:30 a.m. before speed pitching
- Target for next year: Get more PR veterans/higher-ups to attend
- First Amendment Coalition: No report
- Disability Communications workshop on Sept. 21
- FOI Awards: To be awarded at the Arizona Newspaper
Association reception on Saturday, October 6, Wild Horse Pass Hotel &
- Shipping to Tim on 9/26
- Silver Keys – Phil Boas, Kristin Gilger, Floyd Galloway
- Phil Alvidrez Award – Randy Wilson
- Website to be updated
- Press release?
- SPJ emails
- Robert to look into WordPress back end for SPJ emails for Tim and Chelsea
- Social media/marketing + member retention/recruitment: Paula Pedene developed a chapter email template: Discussion of costs, frequency, content
- Decide what content is
- Brief note from Tim
- Awards season
- New hires/promotions
- Job openings
- Frequency: Once a month, unless something additional comes in that needs to be sent out.
- Cost: Up to $200 to start based on prior quote
- Launch date: Within about a week, so around 9/30
- Scholarship Update:
- The board selected an essay question (“How can storytelling remain a prime objective for journalists in an era of rapid technological change?”). It will be advertised in late September – submissions due Oct. 15 (or Nov. 1?) – award(s) to be given at annual chapter holiday party – changed verbiage above in blue to what is there now.
- Website to be updated to include this
- Submissions due Nov. 1
- Chelsea to send Terri GCU contact for scholarship
- Decided to open this up to more schools
- Covering and Protecting Your Elections: Tools to detect misinformation, protect yourself and your data online, and connect with voters, SPJ program, Thursday, Oct. 11, 1-5 pm, at the ASU Law School
- Google News training with SPJ trainer Mike Reilley, sponsored by our chapter. To be held Thursday, Nov. 1, 5-8 pm, Burton Barr Library, Phoenix, 4th floor Lecture Room. We have to start marketing it.
- Will go on Facebook page, chapter website, and in an email blast
- It is a free event
- When posting event details, tell people to bring a laptop/device and dinner if they want.
- Choosing a date and location for annual
chapter holiday party (last year it was at Bliss/Rebar on Tuesday, December 5,
beginning at 5:30 pm)
- Do same venue – Tim confirmed via email after our meeting that we have the space at Bliss/Rebar.
- Date/time: Dec. 4 at 5:30 p.m.
- Need to figure out door prizes – Deb to organize list of prizes
- Discuss Spring 2019 programming, including Sunshine Week
- Consider a reboot of our chapter monthly networking mixer
- Additional item: On Nov. 16 and 17, there will be a Pete Souza meet and greet. Terri is working on this and will provide more details at a later date.
Next meeting: Sunday, Nov. 4 at 10 a.m. at First Watch Tempe