Meeting of the Society of Professional Journalists, Valley of the Sun Pro Chapter
Jan. 16, 2021, 10 a.m., via Zoom
Started: 10:33 a.m.
Attendees: Tim Eigo, Deb Krol, Mark Scarp, Teri Carnicelli, Doug MacKenzie
- Secretary’s report and approval of minutes from Nov. 14, 2020 – Moved (Teri) and seconded (Mark) — unanimously approved.
- Treasurer’s report – Teri reports our investments with Russell Life Points/Northwestern Mutual as of Jan. 15 gained $650.09 in the past quarter, to $19,862.71. Our checking account as of the same date contained $5,191.12.
- Zoom account upgrade – Tim proposed reimbursing Mark the annual Zoom upgrade if he is willing to use it for hosting chapter virtual events. The amount is $149.90. Moved (Tim) and seconded (Teri) – unanimously approved.
- Mark’s Mighty Minute! — Mark reported that the national SPJ board, after some delays since the question was first discussed in September, is finally considering today where to hold the 2023 SPJ national convention. The two major competitors are Phoenix and Atlanta. Atlanta has the advantage of being part of a two-year partnership with another media organization. Mark had appeared representing himself before the board Sept. 5 to object to a plan to hold the 2022, 2023 and 2024 conventions all in Washington, D.C., favoring diverse locations throughout the country to have conventions more attractive to journalists from those areas by saving them airfare and extra hotel room-night costs. The board never acted on that proposal, asking the staff to come up with other options. Board members expressed hope that it be Atlanta, as the chapter was never formally consulted about Phoenix being a finalist or about a hotel location here. Tim contacted Matt Hall by text during this meeting to quickly express our views and requesting some discussion.
- Scholarship essay winners – Amira Johnson and Kylie Cochrane
- Future invite of SPJ President – National SPJ President Matt Hall has volunteered to appear at chapter board meetings. Tim will extend an invitation to Hall to attend a future Valley of the Sun chapter board meeting.
- Update on next SPJ/PRSA webinar – Mark reported that RSVPs were steadily growing for the Jan. 20 virtual panel (“What Big Changes in Media Could Mean for the PR-Media Relationship in 2021”). We have four great panelists, and it should be a great discussion. Mark said he will post social media about the event over the weekend and an e-blast to our list before the event.
- National Nominations Committee – Tim reported that he will serve on the national SPJ 2021 Nominations Committee.
- Update from Region 11 and National and Discussion of upcoming Regional Conferences – Deb Krol reported on the departure of the Region 1 regional coordinator and an upcoming “super-regional,” likely in April, for all members everywhere to attend, with certain panels from regions that volunteer to produce them. (A few regions are still holding their own individual conferences.
- Soliciting for a new Mark of Excellence (MOE) coordinator – Deb is soliciting throughout Region 11 for a new coordinator, which coordinates the shipping of contest entries to and from judges in the regional MOE journalism contest. It involves a paid stipend.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: 10 a.m. Saturday, March 13, 2021, via Zoom.
Adjourned: 11:19 a.m. (46 minutes)
Mark J. Scarp, Chapter Secretary