The Society of Professional Journalists was founded in 1909 as Sigma Delta Chi at DePauw University in Indiana. In 1958, the Valley of the Sun Chapter was created to serve the needs of journalists in the Phoenix metropolitan area. We are dedicated to the belief that responsible journalism is the foundation of a free and informed United States of America.
It is our mission to:
- Promote a free-flow of information.
- Maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
- Stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
- Foster excellence among journalists.
- Inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
- Encourage diversity in journalism.
- Be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
- Encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.
We are honored to have been named as the most outstanding professional chapter in the nation on two occasions since our inception by the SPJ national board of directors. SPJ also named us the best professional chapter in Region 11 (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada and the Pacific Islands) in 2001, 2002 and 2003.