SPJ Minutes – Aug. 27 2017
10:08 – Start of the meeting
- Secretary’s Report
- Old minutes – recap with Terri
- No treasury report from July 9 meeting
- Treasurer’s Report
- We’re a bit down due to lots of outgoing monies
- Some money is coming in from Publicity Summit
- Overall we are in good shape.
- $4,567.04 total cash available.
- Terri has the full treasurer report.
- Mark’s Minute
- Publicity Summit – Panel Discussion Opening includes 9 people from across the mediums
- Mark has a full sheet with all the details
- We will be heavily broadcast focused
- PR is wanting to pitch to TV
- Valley Pub Sum. – Sales Report – Mark has full sheet
- Net Sales: $2,023.00
- No sponsorships right now.
10:34 – Old Business Updates
- FOI Awards
- Silver Keys – Pat Flannery, Mike Sauceda, Joe Adams (posthumous and pending)
- Phil Alvidrez – Bobbie Jo Buel, Arizona Daily Star
- First Amendment Coalition – Carrie Jung, KJZZ, is our new (2017-18) chapter representative (Mark Scarp)
- Fake News panel – done. Success!
- Holiday Party Date – Dec 5, 6, or 7th à whichever works for our venue. Possibly the Clarendon. Kaely has the request out to see if they can accommodate us at a discount price
- Other media groups – are invited but won’t be co-sponsors
- Other potential venues – places that are a bit bigger than Half Moon Windy City (from last year). Southern Rail (Terri will check), Bently (Mark), BeCause, Chambers, Newton, DeSoto
- For event space — $500 or less
10:50 – New Business
- SPJ/EIJ17 in Anaheim, Sept. 7-9, 2017
- Donated basket to Legal Defense Silent and live Auction to be delivered by Robert Leger
- Discussion of proposed SPJ governance changes/bylaws à We approve the changes
- Should we start a conversation via our website, Facebook, Twitter à say we support it and get it in front the other chapters so they can comment and start the dialogue
- SPJ national needs to be updated with who’s on our board
- Tim, Mark will be our delegates à Deb will be our alternate
- Possible Fall/Spring Education Programming
- Halloween Mixer + Resume Update – Come as your favorite journalist à date in October – Terri and Deb will pick a date (first two weeks of Oct. ?)
- Aging in an active population – get Deb on that.
- Kathy Ritchie at KJZZ is doing a 10 part series on aging for the station. She should be involved. (email@example.com)
- Transborder Issues – April/May – Robert is taking the lead
- FOIA Nuts and Bolts – March 2018 – during Sunshine Week?
- Dave Coolier
- At Cronkite?
- We should come up a with a list of venues for our events. A lot of PR people are members.
- Tempe Center for the Arts
- Tempe Library
11:31 – Meeting ends
Tim Eigo recorded minutes of the meeting in place of the absent Kaely Monahan.