Registration open as of Sept. 1! This fall the Valley of the Sun chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists will once again present the 18th annual Valley Publicity Summit, which brings media and PR pros together to share information and story pitches. PR Pros: Register here. And get more details here.
PR pros: Register here starting Sept. 1.
What we call the greatest Saturday morning in Valley PR-media relations returns Saturday, Oct. 15, 2022, both inside Arizona State University’s Vista del Sol Community Center and outdoors under shade poolside at Vista del Sol residential community, hosted by Barrett, the Honors College, on ASU’s Tempe campus, 701 E. Apache Blvd. We are immensely grateful to Barrett for once again being our hosts! PR people pay to register for the event, proceeds of which benefits the SPJ chapter’s programs and activities. The journalists volunteer their time. Parking is free in the ASU lot directly adjacent to our venue, but accessible from Spence Avenue south of Apache’s intersection with Rural Road. Parking is also available immediately to the west of the Vista del Sol complex at University Lutheran Church, 340 E. 15th St., Tempe.
The morning begins with a continental breakfast/networking session, followed by a featured speaker, who we are honored to announce will be Dr. Battinto L. Batts Jr., dean and professor of the ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Then the balance of the morning is devoted to “speed pitching,” in which 20-25 journalists are expected to seated at individual stations in three-minute intervals with an expected55-60 PR people. Each will bring real story pitches about their clients to try out. The media people are welcome to accept (or reject) any pitch for a possible story; the PR people get to learn what Valley media outlet are looking for (and not looking for). The pitching starts at about 10 a.m. and usually ends by 12:45 or 1 p.m.
Expected media participants as of Oct. 14:
- ABC15: Kianey Carter, assignment manager
- ABC15: Nicole Gutierrez, Things to Do journalist
- AZ BIG MEDIA: Kyle Backer, staff writer
- ARIZONA CAPITOL TIMES: Colleen Sparks, managing editor
- ARIZONA DIGITAL FREE PRESS: Terrance Thornton, founder
- ARIZONA’S FAMILY: Katie Faller, planning producer
- ARIZONA REPUBLIC: Kathy Tulumello, news director
- CITY LIFESTYLE MAGAZINES: Michelle Glicksman, Editor-in-Chief, Scottsdale City Lifestyle; Editor-in-Chief, Paradise Valley City Lifestyle; Editor-in-Chief, Chandler City Lifestyle; Editor-in-Chief, Where Traveler Phoenix+Scottsdale
- CITY SUNTIMES/QUEEN CREEK SUNTIMES: Kelly Mixer, managing editor
- ECULEUS GROUP PUBLISHING: Natasha Beal and Brian Beal (North Phoenix News, North Tatum Times, Paradise Valley View, Scottsdale North News, The Scottsdale Standard, Upper Westsider, Epic Kids)
- FOX 10: Christine Goodfriend, planning editor
- FOX 10: George Obi, executive producer
- FREELANCE: Geri Koeppel, Phoenix New Times food/drink, Times Publications/East Valley
- GREEN LIVING MAGAZINE: Dorie Morales, publisher
- INDEPENDENT NEWSMEDIA: Caroline Yu, Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale reporter
- IN MARICOPA: Lee Shappell, executive director
- KJZZ-FM: Lindsey Collom Riley, senior editor
- PHOENIX BUSINESS JOURNAL: Greg Barr, editor-in-chief
- PHOENIX MAGAZINE: Leah LeMoine, managing editor
- SEDONA MONTHLY: Teresa Traverse, managing editor
- THE LIST: Rebecca Guldberg, producer
- TIMES MEDIA GROUP: Alex Gallagher, Scottsdale Progress
- 12NEWS: Melissa Morrissette, assignment desk
PR pros: Register starting Sept. 1. Sign up by Friday, Sept. 30, to get lower early-bird rates.
And regular online registration ends Friday, Oct. 14, at 6 p.m.! Higher walk-in rates apply — also cash or check only — at the event itself on Saturday, Oct. 15.
Media people: Be part of the dialogue for better media-PR relations. Volunteer for the Summit! Email Sherry Butler, email@example.com, for details.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.