Registration is open Sept. 1! Back again for its 18th year — the Valley Publicity Summit, Presented by SPJ, returns Saturday, Oct. 15, 2022 to Arizona State University in Tempe in the Vista del Sol Community Center and outdoors under shaded tables poolside. Journalists’ assignments and PR professionals’ client lists keep changing. PR pros: Be a part of what’s become the greatest Saturday morning in Valley media-PR relations, with discussions and “speed pitching” sessions to learn how to best pitch local media, Register and get more info here. And check out our Facebook event page!
We’re honored to announce that our featured speaker to start off the morning will be Dr. Battinto L. Batts Jr., dean and professor of the ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. And we are once again deeply grateful to Barrett, the Honors College, at Arizona State University, Tara Williams, Ph.D., dean and professor, for hosting the Summit for the sixth consecutive year.
Here is a list of our participating media representatives as of Sept. 28. More will be added as they are secured:
- ABC15: Kianey Carter, assignment manager; Kellie McCown, planner; Nicole Gutierrez, Things to Do journalist
- AZ BIG MEDIA: Kyle Backer, staff writer
- ARIZONA CAPITOL TIMES: Colleen Sparks, managing editor
- ARIZONA DIGITAL FREE PRESS: Terrance Thornton, founder
- ARIZONA’S FAMILY: Katie Faller, planning producer
- ARIZONA REPUBLIC: Debra Krol, environmental reporter
- ARIZONA REPUBLIC: Kathy Tulumello, news director
- CITY LIFESTYLE MAGAZINES: Michelle Ackerman Glicksman, PV/Scottsdale/Chandler editor (Ahwatukee City Lifestyle, Catalina Foothills Lifestyle, Cave Creek City Lifestyle- Coming Soon, Chandler City Lifestyle, Gilbert City Lifestyle, North Peoria Lifestyle, Paradise Valley City Lifestyle, Queen Creek City Lifestyle- Coming Soon, Scottsdale City Lifestyle)
- CITY SUNTIMES/QUEEN CREEK SUNTIMES: Kelly Mixer, editor
- ECULEUS GROUP PUBLISHING: Natasha Beal, publisher (North Phoenix News, North Tatum Times, Paradise Valley View, Scottsdale North News, The Scottsdale Standard, Upper Westsider)
- FOX 10: Christine Goodfriend, planning editor
- FOX 10: George Obi, executive producer
- FREELANCE: Geri Koeppel, Phoenix New Times food/drink, Times Publications/East Valley
- FREELANCE: Jill Schildhouse, Phoenix Home & Garden and other media
- GREEN LIVING MAGAZINE: Dorie Morales, publisher
- INDEPENDENT NEWSMEDIA: Janet Perez, Florence/Queen Creek editor; Caroline Yu, Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale reporter
- IN MARICOPA: Lee Shappell, executive director
- KJZZ-FM (NPR): Lindsey Collum Riley, senior editor
- PHOENIX BUSINESS JOURNAL: Greg Barr, editor-in-chief
- PHOENIX MAGAZINE: Leah LeMoine, managing editor
- SEDONA MONTHLY: Teresa Traverse, managing editor
- THE LIST: Todd Covelli, producer/multimedia journalist and Rebecca Guldberg, producer
- 12NEWS: Jessica O’Toole, planning producer (TENTATIVE)
- WEST VALLEY VIEW: Christina Fuoco-Karasinski, editor
NOTE: While every effort is made to ensure the participation of journalists who have agreed to be part of this year’s Summit, circumstances beyond SPJ’s control may result in changes to the list of participating journalists. We will make sincere efforts to keep the list of participating journalists current.
Journalists interested in participating may inquire with Sherry Butler, firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: As of early September, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have determined that the risk of transmission in Maricopa County is LOW. This means people may choose to mask at any time. People with symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should wear a mask. You may check your county’s status at anytime here. We join ASU in suggesting that everyone get vaccinated (and boosted) against COVID-19, to be frequently tested for the virus and to follow protocols about face coverings inside buildings and in crowded places..