Marina Cinami, Communications Coordinator, ACES: The Society for Editing (https://aceseditors.org/), asked us to pass on this message to our chapter members:
“It’s time to step up your editing game with ACES: The Society for Editing’s boot camp on Fundamentals in Editing.
“ACES is the nation’s leading organization of editing professionals, educators, and students. We set standards of excellence and give a voice to editors in journalism, government, business, and beyond through top-notch training, networking, and career opportunities.
“Our next boot camp is coming up, it’s near you, and registration is open! Check out the details:
“Fundamentals in Editing
- When: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 28
- Where: Fairfield Inn & Suites, Midtown Phoenix, 2520 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85004
- How much: $150 for members. $200 for nonmembers.
- Presenters: Teresa Schmedding and Merrill Perlman
“What you’ll learn
1. Why editing is important (and how to convince your bosses).
2. Grammar and punctuation basics.
3. Commonly confused and misused words.
4. Elements of proofreading.
5. Clarity: smoothing out dense or garbled prose and streamlining copy.
6. Accuracy: checking facts and sources, ensuring charts/graphics are correct, identifying and filling in missing information.
7. Headlines: writing clear, informative display type in print and online (including SEO).
8. Style: why you need a style guide.
“If you’re an editor or edit as part of your job, ACES’ Editing Boot Camps will help you perfect your skills. Have questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
“Register here. You won’t want to miss it!”