SPJ Minutes – July 15, 2018
Board Meeting of the Society of Professional Journalists, Valley of the Sun Pro Chapter
July 15, 2018, 10:00 a.m., First Watch, Tempe
10:15 am – Meeting opens
- Present: Tim Eigo, Robert Leger, Teri Carnicelli, Mark Scarp. Tim Eigo took minutes.
- Minutes from May 27, 2018, meeting approved: Robert motion, Mark second.
- Cash currently available: $3,050.17
- Teri will call our Northwestern Mutual rep, Rick Byer, to ask about declines in our account over time. The board will look at the varying funds we are invested in and decide if changes are in order.
- Over the approximately eight years of the chapter investment, we are down about $600.
- Mark requested reimbursement for Facebook event-boosts (SunUp annual meeting and Annapolis Capital Gazette memorial service) and tea lights for the press conference/service: $46.77
- Teri said the URL domain is on auto-renew, but it renewed without warning ($60 + $18 for domain name).
- Teri updated the group on our holdings, and recommended sending just two members to SPJ national (which is our usual practice).
- Tim will ask Perri Collins to create an spjphx email for him and to forward it where he’d like. He’ll ask Secretary Chelsea Young if she’d like the same.
Mark’s Mighty Minute!
- A fund has been set up for Randy Wilson, managing editor at the Daily Sun who died suddenly this week. The fund will provide internships for NAU journalism students at the Sun. Mark proposed that the chapter contribute. Teri moved we offer a $100 donation, Mark seconded. Unanimous approval.
- Publicity Summit planning goes well. So far, there are seven registrations, $600 net so far (on track with last year). August 22 is the early-bird deadline; the event is on Sept. 15. Ilana Lowery will moderate the panel discussion. Sherri Butler is focused on journalist recruitment; so far 10 have signed up (25 is the goal). The PRSA chapter posted the event in its July newsletter.
- Mark reported that the Sauce Foundation was established to raise money in memory of journalist Mike Saucier. An upcoming event will be the one-time only return of Buzzcation: $20 tickets, event to be held at FoundRe Hotel’s Match Restaurant, Thursday, August 2, 5:30-8.
- The chapter’s press conference and memorial service for journalists killed at the Annapolis Capital Gazette was held on Saturday, June 30. There was a good turnout, and Channels 3, 5, 10, 12 and 15 covered it.
- The chapter annual report was filed before the deadline of May 30.
- Paula Pedene will send the board some email templates for our review and decision. We’ll also explore strategies for social media/marketing + member retention/recruitment.
- EIJ conference will be held in Baltimore, Sept. 27-29, 2018.
- By August 23, we must complete the SPJ-EIJ Delegate Verification Form (need delegate names, member numbers, addresses and emails)
- The chapter will pay the usual approved portions for Robert Leger and Deb Krol. Tim Eigo may register and travel on his own.
- We have a new Chapter Secretary, Chelsea Young, EIC of So Scottsdale! She will contact national SPJ about her being named.
- First Amendment Coalition: No report
- Regional Coordinator Matt Hall requested our chapter endorse him in the race for SPJ national secretary-treasurer. After discussion, the board agreed that although individual members may endorse if they choose, the chapter declines to endorse anyone at this time.
- Scholarship Update:
- The board drafted an essay question to be advertised in September, with submissions due October 15, and award(s) to be given at annual chapter holiday party: “How can storytelling still be the prime objective of journalists even in an era of rapid technological change?”
- FOI Awards: The board selected honorees for awards to be given at the ANA event in late September:
- Silver Key Awards: Phil Boas, Arizona Republic; Floyd Galloway, Arizona Informant; Kristin Gilger, ASU Cronkite School of Journalism
- Tim will contact Paula with ANA to see if they received any FOI award submissions on our behalf. Assuming not, we have our honorees.
- Phil Alvidrez Award: Randy Wilson, Arizona Daily Sun (deceased). Tim will contact Don Rowley, publisher, to ask how to reach family, etc.
- Google News training with Mike Reilley, sponsored by our chapter, Nov. 1, 5-8pm. Tim and/or Mark will speak with Kristin Gilger about securing a classroom at Cronkite. Other possible locations could be the downtown law school or Rio Salado. The board discussed charging $10 or $15 at door (or simply make it free).
- Discussion of rebooting the monthly networking mixer: tabled for now
- Teri will explore a networking mixer that opens with some programming: Dave Munsey and his new book.
Adjourned 11:45 a.m.
NEXT MEETING: SEPTEMBER 23, 2018, First Watch, Tempe