SPJ Minutes – March 11, 2018
Board Meeting of the Society of Professional Journalists, Valley of the Sun Pro Chapter
March 11, 2018, 10:00 a.m., Normal Diner, Tempe
10:15 am – Meeting opens
- Previous minutes approved.
- Dip in investment account – a couple hundred dollars in Jan. Possible we regained in Feb. Didn’t check
- We got a dues check — $246
- Cash available à $3,880.53
- Teri – preparing to do the annual report. Will be ready by next meeting
Mark’s Mighty Minute!
- PRSA registration discount for Pub. Summit – only good until August
- IABC – registration discount for Pub. Summit – only good until August
- These guys are a bit in the doghouse – they didn’t show last year
- Met with Paige Phelps on Thursday for First Amendment Coalition à she’s ready to go.
- NewsTrain, April 6-7 at ASU Cronkite – Registration is available (http://bit.ly/PhoenixNewsTrain – $85)
- We’re sponsoring a little bit. Tim is going.
FAC – no report yet
- They’re apparently offering a writing award – the Star Award
- First Amendment Coalition liaison report (to be submitted by Paige Phelps)
- January 19 mixer at Original Wineburger, Phoenix
- Small but successful
- February 16 mixer at Lustre Bar, Palomar Hotel, Phoenix
- Not as successful – smaller turn out, but people were sick. And parking was outrageously priced. Probably not a good follow up
- Spring educational programming:
- FOIA/Sunshine Week event (Wednesday, March 14, 2018)
- Coming up. We’ll see how turn out is. Thus far, no tickets sold.
- We need to start advertising earlier.
- Covering the aging population (moderator Deb Krol)
- Date is April 2 – however, no advertising has been done – do we no the venue and all the speakers? We need to push back.
- March 16 mixer at Rosie McCaffrey’s, Phoenix.
- KM – will send parking suggestions
- Clarendon Hotel nomination as an SPJ Historic Site in Journalism
- They’re thrilled and ready to be honored
- Possible design/launch of a recurring chapter email newsletter, and creation of a social media strategy
- We need to bring in someone. Tim had talked to someone who might be interested in doing Social Media for us. Paula Pedene is also excited. We need a content strategy. Sit down with Paula. Tim will reach out to schedule a meeting.
- Annual SPJ report will be due May 30, 2018, and cover the period from May 1, 2017, to April 30, 2018.
- Further notes on this above.
- SPJ Regional Conference, Los Angeles, April 27–28, 2018 (early-bird registration closes March 19)
- Board members going: Mark, Tim
- SPJ National Conference, Baltimore, Sept. 27-29 à anyone want to go?
- April Happy Hour à April 20, 2018. Casey Moore’s.
- Possible educational programming:
- Reschedule Aging Conference
- Government Accountability Project event idea (from Paula Pedene)
- SPJ/Facebook Journalism Project event
- Also: Eliminating the use of jargon in journalism (Mark Scarp); Transborder issues (Robert Leger)
- We need to look at increasing board members. We need to do better on looking further ahead.
- We need to focus on getting more journalists on the board
- Identify our “leaders” who show up to events, volunteer
- Also reach out to our new members
- Teri reimbursed Mark for Facebook boosting — $14
Next board meeting: May 20th, at First Watch, 10 a.m., address: 111 W. University Drive
Tempe, AZ 85281
11:28 — Meeting close
Tim Eigo recorded the minutes of the meeting in place of the absent Kaely Monahan.