01/14/18 – SPJ Meeting Minutes
Meeting at NCounter, downtown PHX
10:21 am Opening
- Previous minutes approved – one small correction – Teri’s name had two “r’s” which was incorrect.
- Treasurer’s report à SPJ Holiday Party was a good turn out. We ended up ordering a bit more food because we had so many people come. So it was a success.
o Annual 9-90 form is filed
o Cash available à $4,528.02
o We need to decide if we’re going to do a scholarship this year
- And we should recruit the scholarship winners
- Mark’s Mighty Minute
o Missed our chance to partner with Cronkite to screen “The Post.”
- How do we want to move forward with Cronkite – they don’t reach out to us.
- Shall we contact Kristin Gilger and speak with her? Mark knows her. Tim can reach out to Gilger and copy Dean Chris Callahan.
o Moving forward, we should do film stuff on our own. Kaely has connections with the screening opportunities if we ever want to do screenings. She can reach out.
10:39 Old Business
- NewsTrain, April 6-7 at ASU Cronkite – SPJ is a sponsor
o We don’t have to give money but they would like us to – we’re not on the hook for money. However, we are willing to give some money but we need the details first.
o Tim will reach out to find out how much money they want and what we get in return.
o We should inform all our members of this à we’ll do an e-blast à Tim will see if they have a press release we can share with our members
10:45 New Business
- Carrie’s First Amendment Coalition – she submitted her first report. Tim sent us the report in the Agenda email.
o Carrie is moving to Boston – Paige Phelps will be our new rep for them.
- Sunshine Week (March 11-17)
o FOIA Nuts and Bolts à Discussion by Dave Cuillier
o We need to start promoting now
o If we’re offering professional development we should charge a small amount
o If we offer an hour 2, we can discuss “The Post” à FOIA in action
- Who would we have on that panel à Dennis Wagner, Jim Small, Kris Beecher (Housing Authority) à any women or people of color?
- Government Accountability Project event idea – Paula Pendene
o She has various programming ideas – we should groom her for the board
- Other programming we’re working on:
o Covering aging population (Deb Krol) – April (later spring)
- Reach out to Banner and aging groups, and Kathy Ritchie at KJZZ (firstname.lastname@example.org, http://kjzz.org/aging)
- We need a working blurb on what this panel is about
- Reporting on Alzheimer’s à Deb will create a working doc on this and get it to Tim
o Eliminating the use of jargon in journalism (Mark Scarp) – plan for fall
- Add reporting on vulgarities as well
o Transborder issues (Robert Leger)
- News round of border members à who will be next?
o We need to start farming a pool of people
o We’ll be voting again in June.
o Paula Pendene
o Colleen Sparks – Teri will reach out to her
o Should we rotate roles as well? Bring more people in for new roles.
- Casey McCormick – Lightfinder PR – Mark / Tim will reach out to her
o She’s interested in getting involved with SPJ
o She does event planning stuff and she could help with social media
- Start determining award nominees
- January Mixer — > at The Original Wineburger Jan 19
Meeting End – 11:39 am
Kaely Monahan, Chapter Secretary