March 9, 2009 Meeting Minutes

Present: Mark Scarp, Nicole Beyer, Rene Gutel, Robert Leger, Ruth Ann Hogue, Verina Martin, Matt Bunk, Geri Koeppel, Teri Carnicelli and Deb Krol.

I. CALL TO ORDER: Meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m. by Chapter President Teri Carnicelli.

II. APPROVE MINUTES: Minutes from the January meeting were deferred until the May meeting because they were not ready.

III. TREASURER’S REPORT: Nicole reported that we have been receiving conference revenues. The investment account is down to about $12,000 or so. Nicole asked if we should revisit the issue of adjusting the investments? Mark moved to explore more conservative investment options with Nicole’s husband. Rene seconded. Geri and Mark noted that we should keep our seed fund intact. The motion passed.

IV. ANNUAL REPORT: this report is due April 27; the date was moved up from June 1. Teri needs information on chapter activities sent to her as soon as possible.

V. OLD BUSINESS:

a. Trip to Tubac – Mark said that the application to nominate Tubac and the Weekly Arizonian for the historical sites in journalism is due. He asked for $10 to purchase papers for speaker gifts for the conference. Teri approved the expenditure since she has the authority to do for request of less than $100. She noted that she has also obtained padded portfolios for speaker gifts.

b. Tour de FOI – Mark said the Bullhead City event attracted 25 people, including the mayor of Bullhead City. He met five journalists who are interested in SPJ and want to start a chapter, and he sent them information.

c. Leaving Journalism Panel – Rene took it on. Teri suggested that it be revisited in May.

d. Freelance panel – Geri will contact Creative Connect to determine if there is any interest in doing a freelance photographer panel. Teri added that expanding skills may be a good idea.

VI. NEW BUSINESS:

a. Paul Schatt Lecture – Mark discussed the upcoming lecture on the War of Ideas on March 23.

b. Region XI Conference – The final meeting is scheduled for next week. Mark called for volunteers, as he will need people to help. The mock interviews are scheduled for 2 p.m. Friday and the regional meeting will be at 4 p.m. The banquet is scheduled for 11:40 a.m. Saturday and the cost will be $30. Nicole will notify Mark if anybody remits payment via Paypal and forgets to register. The Tuesday before the conference will be “bag stuff day.” Robert reported that the Republic is giving $500. Mark said that we are shooting a video of the panels, which can be sold as another fundraiser.

i. Banquet awards – Richard de Uriarte will get the Phil Alvidrez Award. Marley Shebala is receiving the Shoe Leather Award. Lloyd Clark got the packet. The winner will receive $375 cash. Nicole recommended that the award should be kept the same at $300 and the chapter put the money in the Lloyd Clark account. Mark asked who is approaching Lloyd about creating a legacy bequest for the award’s continuation? Verina moved to create a Lloyd Clark fund; Ruth Ann seconded. The motion passed. Verina recommended that we also promote a Lloyd Clark memorial fund. Debbie Kornmiller and Terry Greene Sterling will get the Silver Key Awards. Mark moved to accept the slate, which was accepted by acclimation. Teri will contact them. Matt has the Mark of Excellence awards under control. Verina reminded everyone that the program deadline is March 27.

c. VOS Chapter brochures – Teri updated the brochures and passed the example around the board.

d. Web site redesign – Mark pitched the idea to a grad student, Yvonne Suzol [spelling unsure], who redesigned Cronkite’s site. We will pay her student dues for a thank-you.

e. Social networking – Verina offered to start a Facebook page and Rene will do Twitter.

f. Silent auction – a Benson cartoon has been donated.

VII. ADJOURNMENT: the meeting was adjourned at 8:22 p.m.